Friday, January 8, 2010

Welcome back Joe!

Happy New Year everyone. I trust all of your holiday celebrations went well - and we all survived the winter storm over Christmas.

Well back to it. The greatest news I heard this entire week was that Joe Schmit, formerly the main sports anchor at KSTP Channel 5, is regaining his position as the main sports anchor, beginning next week.

The reason for Schmit's departure in 2006, is still a mystery to me. I heard some folks say it was because he was old - and they threw him out. And, other reports I heard was that he was merely taking a break from television.

Schmit was also shifted to news desk anchor before he left KSTP. According to an article from the Pioneer Press, Schmit held the news anchor position for "a little more than a year." After leaving KSTP, Schmit went on to a job with the John T. Petters Foundation - a subsidiary of the Petters Group, which, of course was led by Tom Petters. We all know how that turned out.

Prior to leaving 5 Eyewitness News, Schmit had been at KSTP for 20 years. When I heard Schmit was coming back, I was very happy to hear the news. KSTP had a brief little segment about his return on the 10 o'clock news last night. There were hugs all around for Schmit from old colleagues, as well as new friends at the station.

Schmit told the Pioneer Press, "I felt like Brett Favre for a while, I changed my mind a couple of times during the process. But the stars aligned and we were able to work it out that it made great sense to me and the station to come back."

On top of being main sports anchor, Schmit will also be sports director at KSTP. Phil Aldridge, who is currently the main sports anchor at KSTP, will move to the weekend shift - until July, when it is rumored Aldridge will be leaving the station. Schmit will assume the sports anchor position next week.

Welcome back, Joe. You've been missed.

You may read the Pioneer Press article here: http://www.twincities.com/ci_14141361?source=most_viewed

No comments:

Post a Comment