Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Target Field - what a sight

I was fortunate enough to score tickets from a friend to the Target Field open house last weekend (an event "exclusive" to season ticket holders), and was I ever surprised at what I saw.

Walking up to the ballpark from 6th St. was almost unreal. Slowly, walking by Target Center and over I-394, it started coming into view. The sounds, the people, the huge video board in left field. All the pictures I have been looking at for the last three years was right in front of me.

I wanted to sit in as many price locations as possible, see as much as possible, take as many pictures as possible (250 + to be exact). I'd like to leave you with some of my impressions:

As far as seating, anything is better than the Dome. I do highly recommend the Grandstand. The Grandstand sits between center field and right field. I don't, however, recommend the seats directly below it, the Powerball Pavillion. These seats, to me were very tight and uncomfortable; and I wasn't the only one that thought that. I heard comments from others who felt the same way.

I really enjoyed the Home Run Porch seats out in left field, as well as the left field bleachers. You won't be able to see the big video board as it will be directly behind you (the video board is positioned much the same manner as it is in the Dome). And, be warned, the upper seats in the Porch area are incredibly steep. If you thought the upper level seats at the Dome were steep, your legs haven't experienced anything yet.

It was so nice being able to walk the concourses there and not feel cramped. I honestly have no idea how many people were there that day, but it didn't seem like alot because the concourses are so spacious and wide.

And, buyer beware of the right field bleachers. Those were the last seats we tried (which was about 3pm). The sun had already passed by, so it was very shady and very windy back there. Well, early on in the season, buyer beware. On a July day, they might not be so bad. But, they are aluminum, so they can get cold on a cold day and will be scorching on a hot day.

I am pretty certain I did see seat cushions being sold in the Twins Store, however.

The overall experience was so great. The sound from the PA system didn't seem to carry as much as I thought it would. There wasn't much of an echo, or a 'delayed echo' that you sometimes get from loudspeaker systems outdoors. What really surprised me, was how little I actually heard standing on the plaza, outside the confines of the ballpark.

I knew the sound system was on, they were replaying game 163 from last season on the big scoreboard, but out on the plaza, you could hardly hear it. That is good news for surrounding neighbors, but potentially bad news for folks out on the plaza. There are lots of speakers throughout the concourses of the stadium though, so you will hear incredibly well when you're out getting a hot dog.

And, there are flat screen TV's aplenty at Target Field. Don't worry about missing any of the action.

One interesting note, as I entered the main gate, open house tickets in hand, I had to ask the ticket taker/security guard whether he needed to see the tickets. He didn't even ask me for them. The day before, I heard a story of someone who got tickets the same way I did (through another friend) and was actually stopped at the gate and his name was checked on a list (and he knew it wasn't going to be there).

So, I was relieved I didn't have my name checked against a list (these open houses were for season ticket holders after all); but surprised at the same time upon entering the ballpark and somewhat of a lac luster approach. Granted, when the turnstiles are installed and actual baseball begins at Target Field, things will probably be much better upon entry to the stadium.

It was nice to be there to explore areas (i.e. the club levels and suites) that I wouldn't get to explore without an expensive ticket or season ticket. The only spot at Target Field I missed was the Metropolitan Club, over on the right field side. It had been a long day and it was starting to feel like I had been to the State Fair.

It's only a few short days now until my first ever game at Target Field. Incidentally, I checked out my seats while at the open house. The Twins do warn people on their website that in the lower level, from about row 24 and up, part of the video board will be obstructed because the club level overhangs the lower level by a couple rows.

Well, I have row 24 in an 'obstructed' area. So I was a bit concerned. I could see the whole video board, no problem. One row up, row 25, might have been a different tale.

It was quite an experience.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Luke -

    Great post! I appreciated your critique of all the seating. I will definitely keep it in mind when I go to Twins game.

    Tom Stuart

    ReplyDelete